I was almost finished my project... and I was really happy with it too. I decided to make it into a pillow instead of a wall hanging (it just told me to use it that way)... and was just adding the finishing touches when our world turned upside down. We left in such a hurry that I don't even have a pic to show you how it looked. Oh well...perhaps you may pass by my blog sometime later in the year and it will be there all finished and in its place.
I have loved looking at all your projects evolve over the last 12 months and have enjoyed your company along the way. Congrats to all the players and especially to our host for organising this fun project. I hope to meet you all again...perhaps next time!
Wednesday, 22 June 2011
I did quilting on both of mine for round 10. I had put this off for long enough. I didn't post a new picture of the prairie piece. I hand-quilted in the ditch for most of the piece. The only exceptions are some additional quilting lines at the large wheat head. That is obviously where my R11 more embellishment needs to go. Anyway, it didn't look different in a picture.
I did post a picture of a portion of my pink flamingo one. I love the colors in this, but overall, it has gotten really busy. I wanted the flamingos to pop a little more. So I started with hand-quilting around the perimeter of each of the three main flamingos. I did two rows of that. Then I used machine stitch lines through the background, jumping over the flamingo spaces. I like it. It sort of ties together all the various shapes in the background and helps separate the flamingo shapes.
I am really enjoying this as it has forced me to stretch my imagination. Thank you, Kate, for organizing it. I'm trying to tie up lose ends (UFOs) in my quilt stash, so I hope to get on to rounds 11 and 12 for both quilts soon.
Wow! What a journey ... has it really been 12 months?
A big thankyou to Kate for the concept of a Stay at Home Robin and inviting us to join in. I'm usually a pattern follower when making quilts with a small change here and there sometimes. This was a great way to 'think for myself' about each step with guidance from Kate's instructions ... I hope that I have managed to balance each little quilt well enough.
Both quilts are now bound and labels attached.
Before binding the blue wall hanging I decided I liked it better upside down so I reversed it before binding and hanging.
Thursday, 9 June 2011
I have to be honest, though, and say that choosing colours away from my usual spectrum has been interesting, but hasn't given me a quiltlet that I want to display.
So, if the colours or some other aspect of it appeal to you, please drop me a line and I'll choose out of a hat (if there is more than one person who'd like it) and send it to you. You can contact me either direct (plumcox at tesco dot net) or via my blog. I hope this is OK Kate and doesn't break any of your stay at home rules if my quiltlet goes roaming!
I'm looking forward to seeing the other little quilts as they are finished.
Thanks, Kate, for organising us and setting us these challenges. I've enjoyed it all.
Wednesday, 8 June 2011
Sunday, 5 June 2011
Many thanks to Plum who reminded me that I hadn't yet posted the June step. This is the final step, folks. I wonder how many of you will actually have a finished project - I know I won't. But that's ok - it's your mini quilt.
So, without further ado, Step 12 is: sleeve (if desired) and bind your quilt! And put a label on, too, if you want to. And don't forget to show photos!